visiting Ani: Rest Day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2015

visiting Ani: Rest Day

We are picked up for a tour to Ani about 45 kms from Kars. Frans and Eveline are also on the tour. As an architect, this is something Patrick really wanted to see. The site is on a plateau right on the Armenian-Turkish border. We can see the Russian military bases and watchtowers across the gorge with the river below.

Ani was at one time a thriving capital city of 100,000 Armenian people on the east-west trade route. What is left of the site through the outer stone walls are examples of Armenian Churches.

The ancient city of Ani lays on a high plateau on the border between Turkey and Armenia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two sides of the city are protected by deep ravines. The third side has this city wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the border into Armenia. There are no bordercrossings between Turkey and Armenia, the guard towers and militairy base are manned by Russians according to our guide.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the Armenian orthodox churches that remain standing in Ani.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The domes have survived many years.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing detailing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Church of St.Gregory with ravine and Armenia on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Selcuk mosque.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another church peeking above the grasslands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The "cathedral"
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The final church on our tour has a round floor plan and nicely carved columns.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thanks for the hat Bob!
Heart 0 Comment 0
After about three hours headed back to the city wall and our ride back to Kars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0