Victoria Falls: Zimbabwe side - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2015

Victoria Falls: Zimbabwe side

"Special Sunday price," says the man with two wooden statues. Patrick says, "yesterday was special Independence Day price." We have crossed into Zimbabwe and take photos from the bridge over the Zambezi River gorge. Patrick buys two more wooden statues.

We make our way to the Shoestring Backpackers and check into an air conditioned room...the day is going to be hot. We walk back to the entrance to the park. Admission fee is $30 USD per person. As we walk along the edge of the gorge, we try to remember what all this looked like in 1994. Then, the water was very high, and the spray blocked the view of the gorge and river below. As everywhere, entrances to tourist places have plenty of souvenir buying opportunities. Patrick is happy to have bought our sourvenirs in Zambia.

Zimbabwe uses the USD as it's currency and goods and services are US prices.

For a late lunch, we find an Asian Resturant, Nam Took, and have springrolls and pad thai. Patrick later takes a swim in the hostel's pool and we watch the semi-final rugby game between Argentina and Australia. Looks like the final will be between Australia and New Zealand.

Early tomorrow morning Patrick will go to the train station to buy our tickets on the National Railways of Zimbabwe line from Victoria Falls to Bulawayo.

We have 300 Zambian kwacha left over after our shopping spree yesterday. A guy near the border exchanges them for US dollars. Zimbabwe is using the dollar for its currency.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the bridge across the Zambezi River, Zambia on one side, Zimbabwe on the other.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Zimbabwe. Visas are available at the border and cost $30 each.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victoria Falls seen from Cataract viewpoint.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The falls are not nearly as great as during the wet season, but there is a lot less spray which makes it possible to see in the canyon and not get soaked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 8,406 km (5,220 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0