Two days in Santa Rosa de Cabal: a waterfall and a margarita - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2017

Two days in Santa Rosa de Cabal: a waterfall and a margarita

Day One

"Did you sleep well?" asks the owner of the Hostel. He has studied and worked in the United States and started this hostel in January. He is very friendly and helpful with suggestions. When we ask about a taxi, he offers to drive us up to the termales and waterfall for a small price for gas. He is less concerned about the route we originally planned to the coast, but we think we will stick with the advice from Ezekiel from yesterday. Patrick has been reworking the maps.

We go for breakfast at the La Pasteleria very near to the hostel. The restaurant is set inside a courtyard of the Casa de Los Fundadores. Afterwards, we are driven up the winding road to a point where the hike to the falls begins. "Go to the river and follow upstream". He also said it was about 1 1/2 hours walk...it took us longer. The start is down a steep road to the river with a bamboo bridge crossing over a side stream, then to the river and a trail through the jungle to the falls.

Back at the main road, we start walking and hope to flag down a ride. The first couple of trucks continue on, most traffic still seems to be coming up not down. Then Patrick flags down a "Willy" truck, we run to hop into the back for the wild ride back down. We are let off near the plaza, but we are not sure which direction is our hostel. We stumble upon the Central Market and decide to walk through. The streets around the market are lined with Willy Jeeps, some in brightly painted colors of red, orange and green.

We locate the plaza and find it is full of people just like yesterday. Kids jumping in netted trampolines, kids being pushed around in toy cars, ice cream vendors, and people just sitting on the wall and benches. As we walk the streets we notice there are lots of beer drinking sports bars with billiards or Football games on TV.

Taking advantage of being in a touristy area and different kinds of food, we have Sushi for lunch and Mexican food for dinner.

Day Two

Total Rest Day centering around what to have to eat and shopping for supplies for the road.

Cathedral of Santa Rosa de Cabal
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Plaza in front of the Cathedral is buzzing with activities.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice breakfast at a bakery/restaurant with the smallest bun ever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Landscape just outside of Santa Rosa de Cabal. We are hiking to the Don Lolo waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamboo bridge. We cross the river and head upstream to the waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large leaf along our hike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hiking to the Don Lolo waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hiking to the Don Lolo waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another large leaf.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jungle hike is nice, the waterfall is pretty from a distance but cannot be approached unless through the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A "Willy" is a four wheel drive jeep taxi and line the streets at the Santa Rosa de Cabal market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loading up the taxi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mural in Santa Rosa de Cabal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Machette monument in Santa Rosa de Cabal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hats and bags for sale.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel is still craving Mexican food. We find a restaurant that even has margaritas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside the Santa Rosa de Cabal Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Milk delivery in Santa Rosa de Cabal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch at a Belgian waffle place. Loaded up with fruits, ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Such goodness.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0