to Windhoek airport: Bye bye flat road, Hills again! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 19, 2015

to Windhoek airport: Bye bye flat road, Hills again!

"You are very tired" a man says to Rachel as she cycles into the Trans Kalahari Lodge parking area. "Yes" Rachel replies. "The wind was in your face today" the man says. Rachel thinks this was the day that almost broke her will to keep on cycle touring.

The road stairsteps up until the airport at 67 kms. A flat hill with a small hill at the end, then slight decline to the next flat hill up to small hill, repeated over and over gaining 150 meters. We stop at a gas station for a cold drink, we think we are almost to our destination for today.

Then, the last 20 kms turns ugly and slow going with the combination of headwind and steeper hills gaining another 150 meters in shorter distance. We are only 22 kms from Windhoek, but with more climbing and wind getting stronger, we stop at the Trans Kalahari Lodge.

Just in time.

As we travel west the land becomes less flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills appear on the horizon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see large groups of baboons cross the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the dutch owned Trans Kalahari Inn they have genuine "bitterballen"!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 88 km (55 miles)
Total: 9,961 km (6,186 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0