To Weimar: Thuringer Stadtekette route - or bust - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 14, 2015

To Weimar: Thuringer Stadtekette route - or bust

We continue the Stadtekette route from Eisenach to Weimar. Both cities are excellent places to plan a rest day. Out of Eisenach on the bike route was a bit of shock with about 7 kms of steep short hills, you know the kind that you don't get enough momentum from the downhill to get up the next one.

Finally, we decide to ride on the road. A section between Gotha and Erfurt was a nice stretch and we were aided by a tailwind. Thank you wind.

At Erfurt, we find the city center and sit in the square in front of the cathedral for a lunch of good German bread, ham & cheese. This is a staple for us.

The end of the day ends as it started as we near Weimar....steep rolling hills. Once in the city, Patrick sees street signs for the Labyrinth Hostel and we weave through the streets to the Goetheplaza in the city center. We check in, shuttle our gear and bikes up a flight of stairs to our room, shower and find out in 9 minutes we could catch a city bus right out the door of the hostel to the Buchenwald Concentration Camp. This camp was mainly a prisoner of war camp of Russian and 51 different countries with 8000 dying from starvation or medical experiments.

We walk around the city center that is mostly a pedestrian city center with several plazas and a city known for its fountains, Goethe and Schiller.

Lunch at the city center and cathedral in Erfurt
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is an awesome hostel in Weimar! Right in city center!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Buchenwald concentration camp.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
City center
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 82 km (51 miles)
Total: 872 km (542 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0