To Udaipur: ready for some rest days - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 8, 2016

To Udaipur: ready for some rest days

"This looks just how I thought Rajasthan would look. Dry hills, palm trees, and green valleys" Patrick says.

Some of the men dress a lot like Pakistani with turbans and vests, the women's dress has changed from sarees to long skirts without leggings, top, and a long sheer sarong like cloth draped over their hair, sometimes including their face, and shoulders that reaches almost to the ankles.

Our hotel room was above an all night Truck stop which made for occasional interruption of sleep, but still we are happy that we stayed here rather than continued on into Salumbar. The restaurant made a very nice thali for dinner.

In the morning there were 5 trucks in the parking lot and we had an audience of drivers and passengers watching us shuttle the panniers down from the room and loaded on the bikes. This evening walking around Udaipur, we are no longer a tourist attraction in this touristy area. We look forward to a different selection of food different from the local Indian cuisine.

The ride today was tough only because we are both ready to have rest days, Rachel more than Patrick. When we reached Salumbar, we took a new bypass road that didn't show up on Google maps and stopped for our first break for poha. Another 20 kms we stop at a restaurant that also was a bus stop and had lunch of allo paratha, chapati stuffed with spicy mashed potato.

Much of the day, we gradually climb for 60 kms before the road became a bit steeper for the next 10 kms then the last stretch into Udaipur leveled out. On the outskirts of town we stop one more time for a cold mountain dew and chips to brace ourselves for cycling through the city.

Patrick booked us into the Panorama Guesthouse. We cycle through the narrow streets of the old town area, and cross the bridge over Lake Pichola to the Guesthouse.

For the next two days, we will enjoy the awesome view from the room, and the meals in the rooftop restaurant.

The "hotel" is clean and comfortable, but the parking lot is an all night coming and going of trucks. Back on the road in the morning, one more day to Udaipur.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The valleys are irrigated and green, but the hillsides are dry and covered in thorny scrub.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheat fields and palm trees. An unusual combination to our eyes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
When your truck breaks down under no circumstances do you move it off the road. Instead you put a few stones in front, a few stones behind, maybe a branch or two sticking in the sides, and then you wait.......
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Circular stacks of clay brick, and build a fire inside the pile to bake them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who was supposed to relocate the powerpoles?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived in Udaipur. A Dutch lady takes our photo. The cows are happy to see us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cheers! From the rooftop restaurant of our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 14,207 km (8,823 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0