To Tukuyu: Its a bike trip again! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2015

To Tukuyu: Its a bike trip again!

"I'd almost forgotten what a big tree looks like," Rachel says, as we climb back into forest, banana and tea plantation country in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania.

Last night was cloudy, so we only got a brief glimpse of the blood moon as it was rising and didn't stay up till after midnight for the lunar eclipse. We want an early start and the hotel agreed to fix breakfast earlier than usual. Jill has joined us for breakfast to see us off. We've travelled together now for 12 days and it's time to say goodbye. Travelling makes for instant friendship. Jill returns to Britain in a few days and we will are heading for Malawi.

The first 10 kms out of town were not very pleasant with barely a shoulder and lots of traffic. Once we reached the junction to the road to Malawi, the ride is nicer. We gradually are climbing until about 21 kms when the road steepens. We are leaving behind the harsh dry barren hills and entering the foothills of Rungwe volcano. Once again we see forest, banana plants, and rows of tea plants.

Then we have a long descent, at one point there is a big sign with a "hatari" warning to drivers that the next 8 kms are dangerous. Then there is one final climb into Tukuyu. We try the hotel recommended in Lonely Planet, only the price for non-tanzanians was $40 USD, so we circle around to the main road and find the DM Hotel for 30,000 shillings ($14 USD). We have a self-contained bunaglow and just had the spiciest curry (beef and chicken) with rice.

Tomorrow we cross the border into Malawi.

Loaded and ready to leave Mbyea. We are headed south for Malawi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After about 10km of busy road out of Mbeya we turn on the road that leads to Malawi. There is a lot less traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women working the fields. The short rains should be coming soon and they are getting ready to plant the new crops as soon as it rains again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are elections in Tanazania next month. The green flags are most common and support the party that has been in power since this country gained its independence. The blue and white flags are the main opposition party that might have a chance this time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We climb to about 2200m altitude.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A carpenter at work outside his shop. They make mostly doors, some furniture and coffins.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick taking the above picture of the carpenter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tea plantations again.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The third highest mountain in Tanzania behind Rachel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice room in a bungalow at the DM Motel in Tukuyu.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 7,058 km (4,383 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0