to Trnava: headwinds - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2015

to Trnava: headwinds

Today was supposed to be an easy day, one big gradual uphill, one "big" hill and then downhill. But that is not how it goes. The unknown is traffic and wind....will the wind be a friend or foe? "It must not have liked us drinking schnapps" says Patrick, because a headwind slowed us down. Route 51 was busier than we had been told it would be. Trucks, and more trucks, passed us most being very considerate. The traffic noise and the wind beats on us and wears us down. Would it have been less of struggle had our expectation been different from what the road was supposed to be?

This is when it's nice to know that your destination is a warmshowers host who on his profile page says "I know what cyclists need". When we arrive at the house, the daughter & wife greet us. The daughter speaks English and in the "proper" order for cyclists, asks us: do you want something to drink, do you want a shower, and do you need to do laundry.

Our fifth country, we cross the Moravia River and enter Slovakia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Petr stays behind in the Czech Republic. Good luck on your own adventure Peca!
Heart 0 Comment 0
More Canola fields in Slovakia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at our warmshowers hosts in Trnava.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our warmshowers host Jan barbeques the evening meal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Having dinner with Jan, Zuzana and three of their children.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 1,617 km (1,004 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0