to Tolu: reaching the Caribbean Sea - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2017

to Tolu: reaching the Caribbean Sea

"I'll take rain over hot sun any day," Patrick says, "It's just would be nicer if it were a little lighter". There is no need to wear rain gear in this climate, we'd be just as wet from the inside out and the rain has a cooling effect. "Consider it a pre-wash to the laundry" Rachel adds.

The rain started after the first 40km of flat. Gently at first increasing as the kilometers click off.

At Lorica, we stop at a bakery for coffee and pastries. There are several nice looking hotels here and a possibility of staging this stretch of road differently. For us going in this direction, it's a bit early to stop here. Patrick finally spots a shop that is selling clear plastic and stops to buy 6 meters. This is needed to cover the bikes when on the sailing boat to Panama to protect the bikes from the salt water. Items like this are easier to find in the smaller towns rather than waiting for the bigger cities. We make it to the other side of the town, when Patrick spots a nicer bakery. So we stop again for another cup of coffee and cake.

Soon after leaving the town, the rolling hills start again and a light rain. The rain intensifies gradually and we stop again for a cold drink. Once out of the hills the road flattens again still no shoulder and the road surface varies. We get our first glimpse of the ocean as we ride along Petroleum plants. This last stretch the rain intensifies. We just put our heads down and keep cycling.

Arriving to Tolu, we need to navigate to the hotel where we are thinking of staying. The tablet is acting up and it takes awhile to get it working. Our electronic devices are showing wear, the laptop's battery has died to recharging requiring us to plug it in. Rachel's camera has stopped focusing and buttons have stopped working. We hope in Cartagena to get these things fixed. The first hotel is not so friendly and the rooms strange with many beds. Patrick walks around to the next street and finds the Cabanas de Tolu. The room is bigger, same price of 60,000, and swimming pool.

Rest day tomorrow, then two more days of cycling to end the Lima to Cartagena stage. We received the link to an Idaho Statesman article about bike touring. We are honored to be a part of the growing community of cyclists. http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/playing-outdoors/article149426194.html

Bright red flowering trees along the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lorica seems like it would be a nice town to spend the night. There is an interesting obelisk along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been looking to buy some clear plastic sheeting to wrap around the bikes for the boat trip. It is always easier to pick it up if you see a shop, versus having to hunt for it in a big city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy looking very comfortable on his donkey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Horses in pasture as we near the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Reached the Caribbean Sea!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Tolu looks a bit rough on the outside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle taxis in Tolu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tolu is a popular holiday destination for Colombians. On a weekday in the rainy season the place is deserted though. We find a decent room for a decent price at the "Cabanas de Tolu". Our criteria was we wanted AC and a pool for a cheap price.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Caribbean Sea in Tolu. Wooden boats on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Traditional wooden boats on the beach. It took some searching to find these, most are polyester these days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Houses with reed roofs in Tolu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dark clouds over the Caribbean. We keep our fingers crossed for calm seas a week from now when we cross to Panama.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tolu beach. This place turns into a zoo during Colombian holidays.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wooden boats on the beach in Tolu.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fishing with a throw net. Patrick sees him net several 3" long fish, about one every other throw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the evening the multi-seat pedal taxis come out. They cruise up and down the streets with loud music booming from large on-board speakers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bicycle taxi driver waiting for clients at the supermarket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel in Tolu. We take one more restday before riding to Cartagena. The pool is nice in this weather. You can see our laundry drying over the balcony.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 91 km (57 miles)
Total: 31,674 km (19,670 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0