to Tiszafured: getting caught in a thunderstorm on the Hungarian puszta - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2015

to Tiszafured: getting caught in a thunderstorm on the Hungarian puszta

Thunderstorms passed through the area last night. We had an indoor place to stay last night through our warmshowers host, so our start is early and quicker not needing to pack up a wet tent. We get to the next village about 12 kms away before the sprinkling of rain begins and then builds to a thunderstorm and we take refuge under a lean-to of an abandoned building to wait out the storm.

Then the weather clears. The road is busy and periodically with construction closing one lane. This again is when the bicycle is a superior means of transportation to a car....we can ride on the construction side of the road and keep moving while cars have to wait their turn.

Then we take a less busy road that takes us through small villages and we start to see the grasslands of Hungary. Just before reaching our destination for today we pass the 2000kms mark!

We are early to the Thermal Campground in Tiszafured. After fixing dinner, we go sit in the thermal bath, so good after a day of cycling.

Our warmshowers host put us up in his grandfather's house just down the street from where he lives with his parents. The gardens are fresh after last nights rainstorms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The day starts off nice with just a few left over clouds from last nights storms. They quickly start rebuilding though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We get caught in a thunderstorm and find shelter under a lean-to of an abandoned building.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Threatening skies headed our way.
Heart 1 Comment 0
the worst has passed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Skies are clearing and we enjoy the beautiful light over the Hungarian puszta (prairie)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Canola fields and small villages amongst native grasslands near the Tisza River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
grasslands and village near Tisza River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 km (47 miles)
Total: 2,006 km (1,246 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0