to Thoen: let's get there and sleep - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 11, 2016

to Thoen: let's get there and sleep

"I was just thinking the hill hasn't been too bad" Rachel says just as the road gets a passing Lane for the uphill...never a good sign for cyclists.

Breakfast was included with the room, so we loaded up and pushed our bikes to the open air restaurant. We didn't take the Thai breakfast of noodle soup and all the condiments added, but did take the hard boiled eggs and toast and instant coffee. It is good that today is only short ride, Patrick's cold is progressing. The medicine from the pharmacy helped control the cough and he slept with only a couple coughing spells.

The first 15km or so continued as yesterday, gentle climb. The 5kms of climbing a couple of hills steep. The descent was beautiful through cliffs covered in foliage. There weren't any shops on the downhill. About 13km from town the road flattens a bit though still rolling. The wind again today is not our friend on this section.

We turn at the junction to Tak and just across the road a hotel, Lanna Nakon. For 250 baht a basic room with a fan, and a tepid shower. There is another hotel Nakron next door with a restaurant. Rachel went across the road to a restaurant and had a couple dishes take out for lunch, and to the shell station for ice cream. Patrick slept the afternoon.We returned to the restaurant for dinner.

Leaving our cozy bungalow at Ingpha Resort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Someone stuck a lot of litle mirrors on this gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large white stupa on the top of the climb today. All downhill to Thoen from here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Puzzling roadside shrine. Together with lots of offerings of drinks and flowers is a rack full of dresses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road 106 is a nice ride. The traffic is light, plenty of trees for shade and a long gradual downhill for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake near Thoen.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cheapie hotel in Thoen. We should have gone to the one next door, but we guess we are saving some money to afford the more expensive lodgings in Burma.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 26,008 km (16,151 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0