to Thaton: it's a lot hotter down here - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 8, 2017

to Thaton: it's a lot hotter down here

"By the end of the day these small hills are going to feel bigger" Rachel says. The road undulates gaining and losing 30-40 meters, though some are short and steeper. "The downhills have been nice" Patrick adds, you can coast for longer sections and don't have to pedal every meter.

We had breakfast that was included with the room, then headed out. Gradually throughout the day the temperature rises. It is very humid and as the temperature rises it becomes harder to bear.

Today was a day of meeting cyclists all going in the opposite direction. Just after starting, we see a couple cycle touring. We think they must have stayed at the Golden Bliss Hotel and had just started out as well. They waved but kept going, we are a bit disappointed, in our book you always stop to talk with other cyclists. On down the road, another cyclist, an Australian, and he does stop. He looked more like he was bike packing with a hard carrier like on a motorcycle on the back and a small backpack. He is going to attempt to cross into India, even though stories on whether it is even possible and how to do it vary.

Later on three Korean cyclists stop to talk. They are covered-up from head to toe and in very good spirits. We push on and get to Thaton at about twelve thirty, just in time because the heat is getting to us. The Khayan Pyar Guesthouse is a mixed bag. Most rooms are tiny cells with the beds barely fitting inside and cold showers down the hall. Off one hallway though they have constructed a brand new room with AC, hot shower and TV, all for 30,000 kyat. Pretty good for Myanmar. After the room is thoroughly cleaned we move in, get cleaned up and watch a movie while enjoying the AC. Later we walk up the road to the First Mountain Cafe where we have a great "mixed berry smoothie" and a meal.

Then it is up to the top to the Mya That Bake pagoda for the sunset. We did not count the steps but it seems like there were thousands. Fortunately the whole way is covered, but it was still hot and we lost a lot of sweat. At the summit though the view is worth it. To the west is the Gulf of Martaban, to the east the karst mountains near Hpa-an. We can see the Shwe Sar Yan pagoda in the center of town. The pagoda is being renovated and mostly covered up so that's a bit of a bust, but the view still makes it worth it.

Many shops along the road today selling bamboo and straw products.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy selling bamboo lawn chairs. Rachel bought a bamboo fan from him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Billboard for Aung San Suu Kyi's political party. The guy on the right is Aung San, her father who led Burma to independence from Britain, but was killed shortly before independence achieved.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet three boisterous Korean cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Help tourists sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our guesthouse in Thaton. On the road to the mountain pagoda, just before you get to the five story fancy hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking towards the pagoda on the left is a very nice restaurant that plays american country music.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mountain pagoda. Not until we have already climbed 10,000 steps do we realize the top of the pagoda is wrapped in bamboo and mats. There is some major reconstruction going on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Posing with a group of Myanmar pilgrims. This is after we already posed individually with quite a few of its members.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Karst mountains to our east. We'll be cycling towards these tomorrow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View towards the east.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pagoda in the center of Thaton seen from the mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sun setting in the Gulf of Martaban.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monk at sunset.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sun setting in the Gulf of Martaban.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 27,083 km (16,819 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0