To Thakurdwara: smokey skies and hot - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2016

To Thakurdwara: smokey skies and hot

The kilometers went quicker today than two days ago. Seems like in no time we had done 62kms to the junction and the turnoff to Bardia National Park. There we met Mr. B, he was waiting for two American guests to arrive by bus and he came over to greet us when we had stopped to check GPS. Patrick had been in email contact with him, and we'd read about his place recommended in other cyclists blogs.

It's just before 11am so we join him at a food stall for a cold drink and snacks before riding the last 13kms to his place. It's good that we did, as Mr. B described the road very accurately...asphalt, then a dry sandy river bed that we would need to push through, then big rocks unsealed road, then asphalt again then rocky road. This last part we go off the road onto a dirt path used by locals...yes a bike path!

When we reach Thakurdwara at the round about with a tiger statue in the middle, we stop at the food stalls for cold drinks and then continue onto to Mr. B's. On arrival we are given a "welcome drink", an orange drink with an ice cube! A big plus, water is filtered, chilled, and free to guests, saving lots of plastic bottle trash.

The kilometers went easier today because we were up at first light, there was no wind, the road straight and essentially flat. For a long stretch we follow a canal, and the border of Banke National Park where there is nothing but forests. The air is still hazy from the smoke. That's the downside of cycling in agricultural based countries in Spring, the poor air quality. During this time fields are being prepared for planting by burning the old growth.

Mr.B's Place is an oasis with rooms in duplex cottages around a garden. Hot water heated by solar power, mosquito nets provided and a fantastic restaurant! There was an Englishman who taught the cook Western style cooking. They raise their own greens or buy locally. Our first introduction to the food was rosemary French fries and, wait for it, all who like mayo with their fries...they had made their own mayo! And dinner we had pork chops, first time in a long time.

The plan is to do a Jeep safari tomorrow and a rest day the following day. Hoping to have the luck of the safari and see a tiger.

We meet a traveling band
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road side scenes. Haystacks and mud houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bamboo used as scaffolding material
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet Mr. B at the turn-off for Thakurdwara, a small village on the border of Bardia National Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
About 13 km of dirt road that we will have to backtrack later leads to Thakurdwara.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In some parts cyclists have created a path adjacent to the bumpy gravel road. Much smoother!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Weird looking tiger.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our cottage at Mr. B's.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 16,406 km (10,188 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0