to Thai Nguyen: a change of plans: we are headed north - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2016

to Thai Nguyen: a change of plans: we are headed north

"I'm ready for a Pho Bo" Patrick says. We have had iced coffee waiting for the Hanoi Bicycle Collective to open and then after 20kms stopped for a Banh My sandwich. Cycling in Vietnam is terrific for roadside eating.

Our original plan was to head south from Hanoi to visit the karst and caves area around Ninh Binh before heading east into Laos and see the Plain of Jars. We changed those plans after we saw photographs of the area around Ha Giang and Sapa. The rice terraces and mountains look fantastic and we decide to ride north instead. This means we will probably miss connecting with Tony and Sarah, the British Cyclists we met on the Pamir Highway.

After breakfast we say our goodbye's to the friendly staff at the Hanoi Brother Inn. These guys go above and beyond making their guests feel at home and comfortable on a budget. We ride to Ho Tay lake and follow the western shore. The road around the lake is popular with cyclists on a Sunday morning. At the Hanoi Bicycle Collective store we meet Jaap (has to be a Dutchman) and have some iced coffee next door.

After the break we cross the Red River, pass by the airport and pretty much follow Highway 3 all the way to Thai Nguyen. Traffic is fairly heavy, but most of the road is wide enough to give us a nice shoulder. Also there are many scooters so traffic is used to moving over to pass two-wheelers. The honking gets a bit annoying, especially some of the little trucks that seem to have excessively loud horns.

There seem to be guesthouses and hotels everywhere, and after passing through the center of town we take a room at the first one we check. It is basic, but cheap and clean. Just in time before the rain starts.

Posing with Gary and Henry (their English names) before leaving the Hanoi Brother Inn. We highly recommend this place, good value, friendly, helpful and bicycle friendly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the lake. John McCain crashed in this lake and was captured here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Hanoi Bicycle Collective. We stop in to say Hi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Red River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Red River, Hanoi in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lady working in the fields.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We take a break for a Banh My, a baguette sandwich with a tasty mistery filling.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kid at the sandwich shop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Plastic bottle re-cycling lady.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our "Nha Nghi" in Thai Nguyen. Hotels are plentyful, we find this small family run place just off the main road through town. Comfortable and clean for about US$8.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 74 km (46 miles)
Total: 23,992 km (14,899 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0