to Tenoisque: into Mexico - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2017

to Tenoisque: into Mexico

"The American people are nice, the President isn't nice," one border guard says as we are being processed for entry into Mexico. When one guard asked how long we are staying in Mexico, Patrick answers "depends on if we can get over the wall," and the guards laugh. As we are given our passports back to leave, another says, "make America great."

We'd scouted out the time the border opens yesterday, because we had heard it was 9 am. We are at the gate at 8am as it's unlocked and get our exit stamp for Guatemala. The Mexican gate is not unlocked yet so we wait and watch as a couple walk around and through a hole in the fence. Two women on that side walk through the hole into Guatemala. Eventually the gate is unlocked and we realize that Mexico is a different timezone and an hour later.

Also waiting at the office was an American family of four. They had homesteaded in Oklahoma, sold the land and moved to Guatemala as missionaries and to homestead here. We are called, our information is entered into the computer and then told we owe a fee of 500 pesos each, paid not here but at a bank near the customs building. Patrick goes and pays, we give them the receipt, our passport stamped and finally on our way.

But not too far. We are waved over by customs and every bag is searched. They are mostly concerned about certain food items like fresh fruits, rice and beans, none of which we are carrying. After putting everything back together, then we are finally on our way.

The town on the Mexican side of the border is not much, we see no accommodation or banks. The road looks like it is not used much, the vegetation has already taken over the narrow shoulders. Fortunately there is not much traffic and the few cars that do pass give us plenty of room. At 12 kms we stop at a shop for a cold drink, there hasn't been anything along the way so far. A Humvee with military stops. Interesting sign on the shop about refugees. About 11.5 kms from town is a restaurant first in a long time on this stretch, we keep going.

It is hot though, clouds are building behind us, but we get little shade today. Not ten minutes after we check into the Hotel Cortez though rain starts followed by a huge downpour. The hotel is nice and modern. Hot showers, good Wi-Fi and cable TV. A couple of doors down is a good Mexican restaurant. Taco's for lunch, but our first dinner in Mexico is at the Chinese restaurant on the corner. Go figure...

Changing our leftover Quetzals for Pesos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A section of border wall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding to the Mexican border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding to the Mexican border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of Guatemala and beginning of Mexico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet a missionary couple from Oklahoma.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right turn it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Overgrown road. Little traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see these posters in several places. We think they give you instructions on how to deal with refugees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More rolling hills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cattle country and big skies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some sections of the road are nicely shaded, but it is hot!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shop..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering downtown Tenoisque.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Cortez on the horizon. The Shaw's have the same photo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tenoisque central square, one block from our hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Viva Mexico! Taco's for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good stuff.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 34,279 km (21,287 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0