to Tbilisi: the end of Stage 1 - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 9, 2015

to Tbilisi: the end of Stage 1

Wow, this is the last day of cycling that ends the first stage of our trip from Ossendrecht, Holland to Tblisi, Georgia. Cycling into and/or out of large cities is never fun and Tblisi tops the list of worst ever! The fact that it was hot didn't help coping with the terrible Georgian drivers. If you've ever cycled in Indonesia you have a sense of what cycling in Georgia is like, except in Indonesia there is order to the chaos, not so here.

We make our way through 15kms of city to the Old Town area where our hostel is located. Now for a break from cycling, arranging a tour to go to the Svanti area of northern Georgia, boxing the bikes and looking forward to stage two, cycling Nairobi to Capetown.

Leaving Nitsa Guesthouse in Gori.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we stop at a bus stall to take a photo of a faded Stalin painting, a guy takes Patrick to his backyard to show this piece of art. Not sure what the significance is, Patrick is pretty sure the guy isn't buried here though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two cowboys enjoying an early morning shot of vodka wave for us to join them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They try to share their drink, but we politely refuse, still a ways to go to Tbilisi.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More cowboys. The backroad to Tbilisi is very nice, most traffic is on the new freeway on the other side of the river.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Town along the way with more painted gas piping above ground
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick is not feeling so well today and we take a break in a roadside alehouse. Rachel finds some sprite to sooth Patrick's upset stomach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before Tbilisi. We'll probably do a daytour back to this area to see the churches and monasteries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road up to our hostel is wicked steep on slick cobblestones. And it is very hot as well. We are exhausted.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One more photo at the finish line of our first cycling stage: Ossendrecht to Tbilisi.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 85 km (53 miles)
Total: 4,838 km (3,004 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0