To Tansen: One more day in the mountains, one more big climb - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2016

To Tansen: One more day in the mountains, one more big climb

"Rough night" Patrick says as we pack up early. Neither of us slept very well, starting with a late night party in a sitting area next to our room. Rachel finally dressed and went out to ask them to be quiet. They were very nice about the request and soon left. Then mosquitoes bothered us, but we didn't put up the net and slept a bit until the crows awakened and started squawking.

Today is the reverse of yesterday when the climb was in the beginning. We first have a relatively flat road until dropping down to cross the Kali Gandaki River. The last 30kms is all climbing, though not a steep grade, and we can get into a rhythm until stopping for pictures or rest breaks at roadside stalls. The road snakes along the contours of the steep hillsides then oxbows back and we can look ahead to see where the road is going. Deep in the valley in another river and the terraces create interesting patterns. The road surface is good, the traffic relatively light. The prayer flags have disappeared.

The bamboo is incredibly huge and we see it used as scaffolding, ladders, and supports for roofs. At some point we are close to the high point, the forest turns to pines. The road levels off a bit and 10kms from Tansen junction, we stop for one last rest stop for a cold drink and chips. Other cyclists have ridden the 3kms steep climb up to the town of Tansen. We are hoping for a nice guesthouse still on the Siddhartha Highway. Every 2kms or so, we started seeing signs for the Rose Resort. If there was a chance for a view, we might have considered continuing up, but the air is still hazy.

When 5kms from the turnoff to Tansen, we see the Rose Resort. Patrick rides up the steep hill to check it out, soon Rachel follows. We check into a rondaval style cottage after Patrick negotiated the price down from 2500 to 1800rupees. There is a lovely garden, friendly manager and a restaurant.

Tomorrow we are looking for the reward of today's climb, a 40kms downhill then flat to Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Green hillsides on the Siddhartha Highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Man wading in river with morning glow.
Heart 0 Comment 0

e

We have almost come full circle, Sunauli is where we crossed from India to Nepal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amazing terracing again toady.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roads in Nepal do follow river valleys, but they climb up and down the steep valley sides, often high above the rivers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road oxbows so we can see the road ahead as we climb.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 16,024 km (9,951 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0