To Strandfontein: to the ocean - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2015

To Strandfontein: to the ocean

"Would you like some apricots to take for the road?", Kobus asks as we are about to ride off. "Yes, thank you!" Kobus picks eight off the tree and gives them to Patrick. The Hardeveld lodge is a great place to stay, especially for cyclists!

The first 27.5 kms, we are on an unsealed roughly corrugated typical rolling coastal road. Then the final 25 kms into Lutzville is tar.

We get to Lutzville by 11am with plans to stay here, until accommodation seems too expensive. We shop for lunch and dinner supplies and continue on to Strandfontein.

What would be an easier ride at the beginning of the day and no wind becomes a slog...30 kms more, a big elevation gain out of Lutzville, continued roller coaster road and pedaling to go downhill makes the end of the day very tiring.

We reach Strandfontein and stop at the information office. Lucky, as this is where we make payment for camping, and camping is down a steep hill to the ocean. We find our assigned spot with a nice tree, and private building with toilet, shower and laundry sink. A braai area that we use to cook dinner.

We listen to the ocean and watch the sun sink into the sea.

Fey and Kobus at Hardeveld Lodge are very nice people who made us feel at home in their lodge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Nuwerus we leave the N7 main road and turn on a gravel road that will take us to the coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Strandfontein is a vacation home community right on the beach. There are a couple of (expensive) municipal campgrounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Down the hill to the beach and our campground. A beautiful spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The campground has a beautiful view over the South Atlantic Ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The fog and clouds have lifted and we can watch the sun set in the ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 87 km (54 miles)
Total: 10,402 km (6,460 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0