To Steinkopf: long straight roads into South Africa, 10,000km achieved - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 3, 2015

To Steinkopf: long straight roads into South Africa, 10,000km achieved

"My legs are screaming...'I thought we were done with this' they say." Yes, it's a bike trip again after 14 days not cycling. The driving tour of Namibia was great! We saw so much more than cycling would have allowed.

Now the goal is to get to Capetown in time to do some exploration of the city and surrounding area, as well as get the bikes and gear ready for the flight to India. The border crossing into South Africa was easy and quick. We'd crossed the Orange River and now need to climb up and away, nothing really steep just constant climbing. Elevation from 100 meters to 1000 meters over 65kms.

After seeing so much dry landscape through Botswana and Namibia, we are beginning to see green bushes and a few flowers in the desert. We reach the town before the heat of the day, stopping at a gas station advertising a restaurant and rooms. It looks a bit dodgy, but Patrick wants to check it out before maybe going back to a place just outside of town. The owner talks with us, he is from Madeira Portugal and tells Patrick we will get a "special discount". After we've seen the room he says it is free. The room was surprisingly nice, so we settled into it quickly.

We are making our way slowly to the coast, cycling more shorter days rather than long days with rest days.

The Namibia - South Africa border at Noordoewer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Orange River forms the border.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A guy took this photo ... us, we should have checked it better, some have the sign cut off, some our legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The North Cape region is famous for it's wildflowers in spring time. Even though we are way past that season, there are still some flowers to be seen. After Botswana and Namibia the colors are remarkable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Long straight roads
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 10,067 km (6,252 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0