to Soto la Marina: we have left the tropics - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 18, 2017

to Soto la Marina: we have left the tropics

"Let me get this big mosquito on your back" Patrick says, "I've never seen them land on a back while still riding." We've left early with fog lifting and barely light. As we climb the first 13km, the mosquitoes swarm, and we stop to spray on mosquito repellent. These mozzies are huge and they can keep up with a cyclist, pick a good spot and land for a poke. We'll all be in big trouble if they make it to el Norte, Patrick proposes we design "The Wall" to keep them out as well. Next we get a very fine 17km downhill to a town and a stop for a cold drink. There's been nothing along the road until now.

At the stop, we know it's going to be really really hot today. We decide to add ORS re-hydration salts and Tang to one liter cold water, drinking half now. The road is unpaved for about 2km. We are lucky that we have a tailwind and make good time to the next high point for the day after another 30km. Reaching another town for a second rest break. It's hot! We find refuge in a bus stall. There has been very little shade and there's been no shops along this stretch.

We continue on happy with the wind in our backs, we don't dare to take long breaks in fear that it might turn on us. Thanks to hard pedaling and the wind we reach the hotel we had picked in Soto la Marina before two. There are a couple of taco stands on the plaza where we pick up some really nice tacos for lunch. The rest of the afternoon is spent enjoying the AC in our room, dinner is at a very nice restaurant Tampico at the main road.

Long roads, a few hills and heat. That sums up our ride today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long roads, a few hills and heat. That sums up our ride today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Distant mountains, lots of ranch lands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross the Tropic of Cancer and leave the Tropics. They placed a sign, but the location of the tropic varies from year to year. Its the furthest north the sun is directly overhead on the summer solstice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A bus stall gives us a little shade. Across the road is a shop for some cold drinks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Maria Yolanda in Soto la Marina. Near the town square and away from the busy road. Behind this entrance is a motel style building with ground floor rooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 116 km (72 miles)
Total: 35,411 km (21,990 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0