To Sorgau: ready for a break - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2015

To Sorgau: ready for a break

"I'm done with umleigtung's" There is road construction and we continue on, ignoring the detour signs. The beauty of traveling by bike. Unless there is a bridge out, usually can make it through anything.

Patrick's navigation skills are impressive. Two basic rules: As long as you keep going in the direction you need to go, you're not lost. And you are never lost until you admit it. Following the bike route signs has been a challenge at times as the route weaves through villages, crosses the road, goes under railroads, but the general rule is to keep going straight from the last sign you saw.

Today was tough cycling crossing river valleys, but we arrive at Tine and Jorg's house mid afternoon. We first met Tine and Jorg in 2007 cycling the Friendship Highway Lhasa to Katmandu. They then visited us in Boise Idaho in 2010 and did a backcountry ski expedition in the Sawtooth Mountains.

We have cycled 10 of the past 11 days and are ready for a couple of rest days before cycling onto Prague.

Today we cross river valley's through Dittersdorf, Venusberg and Marienberg to get to Sorgau. Tough cycling, but beautiful countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cycling through Zoblitz with 4kms to go to Sorgau, Tine spots us! She gives us directions to a short cut to Tine & Jorg's house to avoid a hill. There still was a 16% grade hill to get out of Zoblitz.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No way we are able to cycle a 16% grade hill! Just have to keep going one way or another.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The short cut to Tine & Jorg's house included going through a forest on a dirt track and then a field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have reached Tine's and Joerg's house, on the top of a hill outside Sorgau. We meet Tine and Joerg on the Friendship Highway between Lhasa and Kathmandu in 2007.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,085 km (674 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0