To Somwarpet: coffee anyone? - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 16, 2016

To Somwarpet: coffee anyone?

"Yes, yes" the bakery salesman in Somwarpet says as his head bobbles side to side, ear toward shoulder, means yes, and looks like no. When people are asked a question that they don't understand or don't know, there is this cute waggle in a figure eight meaning maybe. To us it's confusing because it looks like no but could be yes. We had just finished eating a masala dosa for lunch and then wandered around the main square by our hotel when we bought the sweets.

The day started with Patrick being interviewed by a kid who is in the process of developing an electric bike for the Indian market. His father sounded like he was a minister in transportation, the best Rachel could understand with the Indian accent.

The first 16 kms out of Madikeri the road continues to be lined by coffee estates. In the state of Karnataka, the coffee plantations are integrated as estates. A difference between the Communist state of Kerala where there is an India Coffee Board Workers Cooperative Society. Today, we see signs for Tata Coffee Limited, the coffee for Starbucks in India.

A highlight today was when we stopped for a break. A line of tuk tuk drivers started talking with Patrick when he stopped at the combined building of bus stall and post office. Rachel crossed the street to find coffee and cookies. A man helped carry the coffees back to Patrick, first tearing small pieces of newspaper to cover the small glasses. People are curious about the bikes and love to have their pictures taken and take pictures of us. We become their entertainment.

In Somwarpet, we check into Suvidh. The room is basic, hot water is not available until later tonight, but they bring us a jug of hot water to wash up. Toady was short in kilometers, perfect distance with the hills.

Misty morning in Madikeri as we cycle out of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back in the coffee forests.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Postoffice and postmaster in Kanoor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #2
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another relatively quiet road through coffee plantations.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Decorated truck. We have not seen too many of these, and that is a good thing. It means so far we have been able to stay off the main trucking routes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakery in Somwarpet. The guy lets us try all kinds of cookies and sweets.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 11,477 km (7,127 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0