to Sing Buri: down the highway - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 15, 2017

to Sing Buri: down the highway

"It does smell good, but no way am I going to try eating it" Patrick stated very emphatically about the rats we see being grilled and sold by the side of the road. "Even though they eat about the same things as chickens" he continued. "It's the association, we think of chickens out in the barnyard and think of rats in a sewer," says Rachel.

We have the "American breakfast" of fried egg, ham, toast and a salad then on our way. Today was just a day to get the distance done, and hopefully before it gets too hot. To think in a week's time we'll be in Holland in winter and probably complaining about the cold. The road was busy with lots of big trucks though a smooth surface, gentle tailwind and a nice wide shoulder helped making good time. We stopped twice at an Amazon Coffee Cafe, in the morning for a coffee frappe and around noon for a strawberry smoothie. Both so very refreshing.

Our tires are wearing thin and flat tires are happening now on a regular basis. Patrick had a flat yesterday after only about 18km, today Rachel hits something big (we hear it smack into the inside of the fender, then its gone with the tire rapidly deflating. We are only about 5km from our destination and it is hot, but the only option is to put in a new tube. We had read in the Beese's journal (by the way, they did try the BBQ rat) about the Central Place Hotel that is on the way into town, but it is too isolated with no restaurants nearby. So we continue on another couple km to the Baanbudsarin Apartments. This was a bit of difficulty finding as the signs for it disappeared after having shown up when we first entered town. The entrance is on a side street from the main road and GPS leads us there. Although an apartment building, rooms are rented on the first floor and we were able to roll our bikes straight into the room.

Just down the road is a small night market where we find a bowl of noodles, veggies and pork. At another stall we pick up fresh springrolls and there is a 7-11 for drinks. On the way back we stock-up on baked waffles, they will be great with the last of our Nutella.

Some dragon's tail at a pedestrian bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Large bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A tasty rat on the BBQ.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Flat tire with only a couple of km to go. Our Schwalbe Mondials are worn after 17,000 kilometers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 103 km (64 miles)
Total: 27,538 km (17,101 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0