to Shimla - 2100m: gaining altitude and the "inner line permit" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2016

to Shimla - 2100m: gaining altitude and the "inner line permit"

Today was a beautiful ride until about 10kms from Shimla when it turns to nightmare. We start the day early again, not because of the heat so much but the climbing we need to do, a total elevation gain of 700 meters.

First, a short climb out of the town, then a gentle downhill and almost flat for 20kms. We stop for a chai. Then the gentle climb begins with views of the deep valleys and the hills in the distance. There are plenty of food stalls along the side of the road. We've noticed the dogs have become more aggressive with barking and some giving chase. Not until we are 10kms from Shimla do we realize that most of the altitude gain for the day happens in this stretch. Compounded by the traffic, so much of a traffic jam, its slow going to the point where we push the bikes the last kilometer just to keep moving.

Shimla is spread out over 12kms built on a ridge and down the side of hills making the streets steep and winding. Patrick has booked us into Hotel Grace, yet today instead of having that specific destination to go to, the GPS leads us astray. We continue to push the bikes up a switchback to where we think the hotel is located. We ask, and pointed up the hill further. We ask again, and pointed back down the hill and indicating the lower road. We go back to the junction and Patrick explores on foot to locate the Hotel before going back down the steep road. Finally located, reception is down a flight of stairs and the room is down another flight. The room is very nice and spacious with hot, steaming water for a shower and a CNN partnership hotel.

Because this is Friday, and our goal is to get the Inner Line Permit for the section of road in Spiti Valley that goes through an Indo-Tibet area, we clean up quickly and head out to find the Additional District Magistrate office. This was an ordeal that took 3 hours to get the permit and will post the details on tomorrows page.

Now close to dinnertime, we search out Cafe Sol. Rachel has nachos with refried beans, the dish was right on authentic including sour cream and guacamole! Patrick had a chicken sandwich, the restaurant had advertised Thai food but this will have to wait until tomorrow since it's not offered until after 7:30pm.

Tomorrow we shop for supplies for the Spiti Valley.

Retired cargo bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we climb we get nice vistas across the deep valleys. We are amazed how many buildings are scattered across the ridges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Himachal Pradesh has banned plastic bags. Instead they pack your purchases in a glued newspaper sleeve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jackaranda trees are blooming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The jackaranda trees are blooming.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The only tiger we have seen so far.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Blooming tree... Not sure about the name.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tackling the traffic chaos of Shimla.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 17,165 km (10,659 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0