to Seneca: Eastern Kansas has hills - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2017

to Seneca: Eastern Kansas has hills

“You don’t know how lucky you are with the weather” The man in the store tells Patrick. We’ve stopped at the Corncob Crib restaurant and general store in Corning for a cold drink and have our ham and cheese sandwich lunch outside on a bench. We have another 20 miles to go to Seneca, so far when we are heading west the wind helps us up the hills.

There was no dew on the tent this morning, so Patrick took the poles out of the rainfly and unclipped the ground sheet from the inner tent and then folded the tent and rainfly up together. We have no hopes for a second breakfast today. When we go through Soldier there is a nice post office building, and a closed restaurant so we stop at a bench in front of a church to have a snack. The temperature is pleasant, the humidity low, the hills keep coming. Some very steep down like on a roller coaster that helps get us up part of the uphill. The ribbon of hills though can be seen in the distance, never ending.

When we arrive in Seneca, there is a McDonald’s on the main road. We stop to use the WiFi to check our emails and warmshowers messages. Just a mile down the road is the Stallbaumer RV and Campground. We pitch our tent next to the picnic shelter. There is internet, but only briefly. After we succeed in posting an update the internet goes down for the evening. The wind does not settle down though, it only gets stronger. We give up and find shelter in our tent. We are not motivated to cook out in the wind, so we walk across the road for a fast-food burger. Then back into the tent and our books.

Pioneer cemetery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Abandoned farms.Often the new house is simply built behind the old.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another old barn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hills in Kansas......?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yes, there are hills and curvy roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Soldier Kansas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A junk dealer in Soldier.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice post office in Soldier Kansas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Line-up of old farm trucks. You never know when you need the parts on them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kansas farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grain elevators are plentiful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Watertower and church in Corning Kansas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 38,085 km (23,651 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0