to Schuyler: across the Platte River - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2017

to Schuyler: across the Platte River

There is crisp fall coolness to the air as we ride out of Lincoln. Kevin, our host, has an early appointment and leaves us at about 6:10. We roll up our mattresses and pack our gear away. After our usual breakfast of oatmeal and coffee, we roll our bikes to the elevator and out onto the street. Lincoln has many bike routes and despite the morning commute going on we are able to find our way easily out of the city. We pass through the University of Nebraska and are sorry we did not have an extra evening to walk around the historic Haymarket area.

After we get clear of the city we take state highway north. There is a shoulder for the first ten miles or so, but then the road narrows and we lose the shoulder. At Valparaiso, we are disappointed not to find a cafe for a second breakfast. Instead we feast on the cinnamon rolls we carried from the Sunshine bakery in Beatrice. Between Valparaiso and Brainard we take the Oak Creek Trail, another abandoned train track turned into trail. We stop on the outskirt of Brainard at a picnic area for our lunch break. After Brainard we have a couple of kilometers of pavement, but then there is a choice to make. The paved road heads west for another two miles then turns north before turning back east. There is a shortcut avoiding the extra miles, but it is unpaved. Road Q does not look too bad though so we go for it. It is about 10 miles of dirt, with some good hills and occasional soft gravel areas. With the pavement in sight, Patrick gets a flat and has to change tubes. The wind has been good to us today.

We cross the Platte River and enter Schuyler (pronounced Skyler here, probably because they cannot properly pronounce the German “sch” sound). Right at the south side of town is the municipal campground. While Rachel sets up camp, Patrick rides into town to the supermarket to buy our evening meal of pork chops, Idaho mashed potatoes and baked beans, in addition stuff for lunch tomorrow and a couple of cold beers.

Leaving Lincoln.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The prairies are waiting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Route 59 starts with a nice shoulder but it does not last.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nebraska farm.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a junction, a gas station / store / tackle shop. We wish there would be more of these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old grain elevators in Valparaiso.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the Oak Creek trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break on the Oak Creek trail. We don't stay long though, while taking this photo the mosquitoes find us and attack in mass.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding down the Oak Creek Trail. A nice reprieve from vehicle traffic noise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
It is not as flat as it looks in this photo, but the old rail bed gains and loses elevation slowly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rolling farm fields of Eastern Nebraska.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Brainard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our shortcut road Q. Again, not as flat as it looks, but it saves us about four miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road Q headed north towards Schuyler.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Railroad crossing on road Q.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tall grass prairie along road Q.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A flat with the paved road in sight. The shoulders are covered in prickly stickers as Patrick finds out the hard way. Rachel leaves her bike on the gravel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Platte River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite in the Schuyler City campground.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 38,349 km (23,815 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0