to Sarikamis: climbing past obsidian - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2015

to Sarikamis: climbing past obsidian

"I wonder who determines where there are to be gas stations? Yesterday they were every 5kms it seemed" Patrick says. We generally aim to take a break every 15-20 kms and gas stations offer cold drinks and a place to sit.

Along this stretch there isn't much, in services that is, the scenery is beautiful. We continue following the Aras Nehri river through a wide river valley and then into a gorge with rugged cliffs.

About 24 kms from Horasan there is a "truck stop" with chai and water, because it's Ramadan, not sure about food. We stop for chai and watch how the big trucks come in a park in herringbone fashion. A couple more Kms there is a roadside water spigot. Then nothing available for the next 20 kms until reaching Karakout.

We are at 45 kms from Horasan and the climb begins, we will gain 500 meters over 15 kms to 2000 meters, then up and down continuing to lose and gain another 100 meters to Sarikamis.

Big Sky country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have about 45 more kilometers following the river downhill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It poured last evening and most of the night. The river is running very muddy this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is lots of obsidian visible along the road climbing towards Kars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see red/brown and black obsidian.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After Iftar (breaking of the fast) we meet Frans and Eveline in the restaurant. They are from Breda in the Netherlands and are cycling Turkey and Georgia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 4,350 km (2,701 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0