to Sarchu - 4400m: over Baralacha La (4918m) - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2016

to Sarchu - 4400m: over Baralacha La (4918m)

The switchbacks start immediately. We have to gain about 600 meters to the summit of Baralacha La. Just like the last couple of days the weather is very calm, the strong cold winds pick up at around noon. There are some clouds around the mountain tops. Dan struggles with the altitude today, about halfway up the pass he takes a Diamox .

Just before the pass is a nice lake with beautiful views over the mountains. Then there is a Bro monument at 4850 meters which seems too low. Just around the corner and a little higher are prayer flags strung across the mountain side. Good place for photos.

The road surface deteriorates on the way down to Bharatpur. It might sound like a town, but it isn’t, just another collection of seasonal dhabas servicing basic food and providing a place to sleep.

We have another 26km to go to Sarchu, mostly downhill, but there are a couple of nasty uphills too. The road surface is terrible, at one time this must have been paved, now there are just a few patches of smooth asphalt left. Until we reach the wide valley, the river flows in a canyon with hoodoos along its flanks, there is grass, a nice road and several upscale tented camps. Just before Sarchu is a police checkpoint where we enter the district of Ladakh. A storm is approaching, we settle in a blue wall tent just as the sleet and rain starts to pick up.

Mountain scenery in Lahaul.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing from Zing Zing Bar to Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dan Chan climbing Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road deteriorates and snowfields appear on Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break on Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hairpins up Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small lake just before the Baralacha La summit.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bro placed a "Baralacha La summit" sign so we stop for a photo. A little further up the road though are the typical Buddhist prayer flags at what seems like a slightly higher spot. But anyhow, Patrick, Rachel and Dan made it over this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The second high spot with prayer flags.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downhill off Baralacha La.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wide floodplain and a shallow lake at the foot of Baralacha La. The pass is on the horizon here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spot the cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spot the cyclist.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorful mountainsides and hoodoos.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadsign at the entrance to Sarchu.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 17,928 km (11,133 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0