to San Luis: Lots of rain and hills - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2017

to San Luis: Lots of rain and hills

While cycling in the rain can be pleasant or a challenge, it always is easier when the rain starts after already riding. It's more of a challenge to start out in the rain. In this climate, rain gear makes no sense, you'll get wet either from the fresh rain, or wet from the sweat in a rain jacket. Curtis and Jenny are up to wave goodbye.

The rain is strong at first, we feel lucky that it's a Sunday and there's less traffic. We hear hymns being sung from a few humble churches. People say "good morning" as we ride by. At 18km we stop for a break. The rain has become lighter and intermittent, with road wet we avoid the shoulder, the lip from the road is bigger on this stretch to safely weave back and forth. But then there is a trough that collects water, so it's a balancing act choosing where to ride.

At the junction of the turn-off to Coban, the rain is pouring again. We are very close to Belize. Rachel pulls off the road under the porch of a closed tienda. She wants to check GPS to make sure we are on the right road. Tiendas are named after first names, usually woman's name like Margarita. Yes, that one caught Rachel's attention, dreaming of a margarita. The rain stops and at 30km, just as we stop at a gas station for a break, the rain pours down again.

In a small town, we stop for tacos at a corner stall and have three delicious tacos with picante salsa. The local dogs have an eye out for scrapes. From here we will start looking for Hotel San Francisco, we troll the town and finally asking the locals . At distance marker 353, there it is and another nearby Hotel Villa Hermosa but neither look great, definitely desperation accommodation, but good to know the were options shared by Curtis. Even though we know the second big climb for today is starting, we decide to go onto San Luis and check out Hotel Nakun. At distance marker 357, there is Posada del Sol, restaurant, swimming pool, hotel, it's almost 1:30pm, time to call it a day.

There is some confusion about how much the double room should cost, but we settle on 130Q, ($18) best value so far in Guatemala. The electric warm shower does not work though, and the promised internet never connects us, but the room is nice and clean, has AC, and there are nice pools and a restaurant. We clean-up, have a swim and a late lunch at the restaurant. Whether it is the beer, or tiredness, but we both fall asleep at about 4:30, wake up at 7, eat a banana and go back to sleep.

Great meeting Jenny and Curtis. Thanks for getting up and waving us off.(Photo by Jenny and Curtis)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Thank you Jenny and Curtis for this rare shot of us cycling together. As we leave Rio Dulce heading North toward home, Jenny and Curtis will continue going South. (Photo by Jenny and Curtis)
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the pouring rain we head out. It rains most of the day. Those "Tumulos" are speedbumps.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still raining. Break for a cold drink, even though it rains it is warm and the humidity is sky-high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking if we are on the right road just past a junction. The touchscreen tablet is great, except for in the rain when it goes crazy on you unless you find shelter.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Threatening skies.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kids on the march. They are marching quietly though, a loudspeaker is on a loop with a prerecorded message. Strange.....
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lip between asphalt and the shoulder is two to four inches. A pain in dry weather, dangerously slippery in the wet. The shoulder comes and goes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bunch of guys giving us the thumbs-up. The Hotel San Francisco we are looking for is another 5 kilometers or so down the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tacos for lunch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Guy making tacos in his roadside stand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finished tacos. Three for 10 Quetzals, or about $1.30.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We decide to keep going to San Luis and the Hotel Nakun there. But about 3 kilometers before San Luis we pass by the Posada del Sol with pools, restaurant and nice rooms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vacation at the Posada del Sol.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 86 km (53 miles)
Total: 33,912 km (21,059 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0