to San Fernando: hot and much dryer - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2017

to San Fernando: hot and much dryer

The road becomes a long desert highway after a few kilometers. We leave Hotel California early, the wind is not in our hair, though we did see a shimmering light in a sun burst. We start out early anticipating a hot day and happy to reach Jimenez rather quickly.

We planned to go on the bypass road around the town to an Oxxo for chocolate milk. Hopes of that were dashed when we inadvertently took the road into town then as hope is eternal, there was a supermarket that sold chocolate milk. The town looks fairly nice with a central park and church. We did not see a hotel in the center, but on the outskirts, north of town is a hotel, though it looks a bit dodgy. Our original plan was to spend last night here, but we just could not find any good information about this town.

The landscape has gone from very green to a desert chaparral. As the morning passes the temperature rises. Our next hope for a cold drink is at the junction of 101 with 180. No such luck, there is an abandoned Pemex gas station. We take a break to eat chocolate chip cookies. Yes there's a theme with chocolate. The road alternates from four lane with no shoulder to two lanes with a shoulder. Another 12km and we go through another roadside town where there is an Oxxo on the north side. A man is selling tacos out of a cooler. We buy some and have cold drink. The tacos are delicious.

The last 20km are harder with more rolling hills and the heat. We take the old road to San Fernando that splits from the bypass road. On this road with no shoulder there is a sign indicating the distance that vehicles should maintain from bikes. We have found the Mexican drivers very courteous and giving us space. Patrick cannot even remember flipping off one driver in this country, that must be a first. We know this will change when we cross the border.

As we enter San Fernando, we find Hotel Quinta la Herradura. The asking price for a room is 650 pesos. Patrick asks the receptionist if there are other hotels, she gives directions back, where we did see another desperation hotel. Rachel puts her gloves and helmet back on. He asks if there are hotels in city center and then asks for discount. For 550 pesos, we have a great roll in room, TV, WiFi, and a powerful hot water shower. Rachel starts doing laundry and Patrick rides to store and brings back tacos, chips, coke, yogurt for breakfast and beer. For dinner we order in chicken wings.

One more full day cycling in Mexico.

Old weathered bar.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sunburst behind a cloud that gives us some reprieve from the sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fancy Rancho entrance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another bar that fell on hard times.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shops selling honey, cheese, jerky and dried shrimp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadside shop with drying shrimp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Street scene along highway 101.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A meter and a half! That's even better than Boise's three foot. We have been very happy with the Mexican drivers. They have given us plenty of space, and trucks will even move over in the other lane when we are on the shoulder and don't really need the space. We hope we'll find a similar treatment in Dixie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Fernando just ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 35,561 km (22,083 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0