To Rudrapur: Getting reacquainted with Indian traffic.... - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2016

To Rudrapur: Getting reacquainted with Indian traffic....

"Eminent Domain" Rachel says, as we ride out of town after our first break today. "That's how it's supposed to be used" says Patrick, "the road needs widening." The town is being demolished.

The road surface goes from broken asphalt, to unsealed sections, some with new asphalt and signs declaring "4 laning work in progress" where there are four lanes with a divider. Some sections look completed but one side not open yet for driving, except for those vehicles that drive on it anyway, creating parallel two lane roads.

And the traffic especially through towns remains insane, not only the honking but the attitude being to go wherever and not look. At one point on the outskirts of Rudrapur, a mini van angles across the road in front of Rachel about to cut her off, stopping making the van having to stop, she pounds on the windshield as the driver who was on a cell phone looks shocked. There is so much chaos during the day, we are happy to sequester ourselves in our hotel room for the rest of the day.

Through booking.com, Patrick has made reservations at Hotel Amber. The room is small, clean, warm shower, TV with BBC and star movies, most importantly Air conditioning. We have moved beyond the fan with the hot temperatures. When we check-in, the downstairs restaurant is being remodeled and we are told "no restaurant". After cleaning up and laundry hung on the roof, we go for lunch, asking at the desk for a recommendation for Chinese Restaurant. Then the manager explains Chinese is on the menu and there is room service, the kitchen still is operating. We have a fantastic Chinese lunch of egg fried rice, chilly chicken, and sweet and sour vegetables.

Patrick goes out for a few store items, a new battery for the odometer and twice going out looking for a haircut with no luck. A few more days to Rishikesh and rest days.

Smokestack with some precarious looking scaffolding
Heart 0 Comment 0
These look like haystacks, but inside they hide chipped-up straw, we think animal feed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just another dusty Indian town along the way. They are widening the road to a four-lane divided highway and are demolishing many buildings built too close.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the driving habits of the avarage Indian bus and truck driver accidents like these are bound to happen. We are surprised they do not happen more often.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Concrete advertisement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to Rudrapur happens to be right alongside a huge smoldering garbage dump, before the road crossed a fetid black stream. We try to hold our breaths while children are playing in the refuse. Also part of Incredible India. To us it is no longer a love or hate thing, it is both.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 16,655 km (10,343 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0