to Riobamba: first views of Chimborazo - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 30, 2017

to Riobamba: first views of Chimborazo

"Quick, take a picture that might be the only view today" Rachel says as we see the volcano for the first time. After so many days cycling in fog and rain, it's nice to have a view.

We wake up to blue skies. From Guamote we have an initial steep climb, then a short downhill before a long gradual ascent to the high point of today's ride. The ride is beautiful, down a green fertile valley with farms and fields everywhere. In the bushes Patrick sees a long tailed hummingbird flitting about. We spot a white spot on the horizon that is not a cloud, it is Chimborazo, the highest mountain in Ecuador. Chimborazo is a inactive volcano, 6,263 meters high. Because of its location so near the equator, and because the earth bulges the top of Chimborazo is the point on earth furthest away from the center of the earth. Either way, its a beautiful sight. We consider ourselves lucky to have seen the first of a string of volcanoes in Central Ecuador.

After we reach a small lake and a short downhill we have several steep bulges ourselves before finally descending into Riobamba. In Colta and Cajabamba, we saw signs for Riobama on secondary roads, but we chose to stay on the Pan-American. Once again, the hats change, a white bowler hat but not with pom poms but a ribbon with a tail.

The city is much larger than we expected. Our guidebook recommends a budget hostel and we had contacted them through email to make a reservation so that is where we head. Hostel Oasis is indeed very nice with small cozy room set around a beautiful garden. We settle in, shower and take a taxi to "el Rey de Burrito", a recommended Mexican restaurant. The food is awesome and the portions huge.

Too full to walk far, we take another taxi back to the city center. Taxis in Riobamba run on a fixed fare of $1.25 per ride. A good deal. We look at some of the historic buildings around the square and park then slowly make our way back to the hotel to relax and digest our food. We won't need dinner tonight.

After an initial climb out of Guamote we follow a green valley to todays highest point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We crest a hill, round a corner and there is Chimborazo, Ecuador's tallest mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Clouds are moving in though, an hour later the mountain is obscured.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We follow the tracks of the tourist train all the way to Riobamba. Chimborazo is just barely visible on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green mountain sides and small farms everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A steam locomotive getting ready for action.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunchbreak. Behind us is a tourist restaurant. We went in to get some coffee but $3 is a bit too steep for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hostal Oasis in Riobamba.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We go to a Mexican restaurant for lunch and Patrick gets the biggest Chimichanga ever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gum ball machines
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riobama Plaza
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 29,711 km (18,451 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0