to Rio Dulce: CGOAB rendezvous - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2017

to Rio Dulce: CGOAB rendezvous

"Blue sky" Patrick says looking out the door as we pack.It's a wonder, the storm raged last night, the loudest thunder we've ever heard.

We navigate out of town, it is confusing enough that there are "salida" signs posted. The spur road connects back to the main road and at this junction there's a nice looking hotel. Had we known we might have avoided going into Morales.

The road is much the same, though fewer trucks today. The 3-4 inch lip between road and shoulder continued. On the climb two local cyclists pass going down, then they were coming up behind us. They had turned around to get a photo with us.

Lots of pineapples being sold at roadside stalls, all with a hammock for the salesperson to spend their day. We stop at one roadside stall for a cold drink. We cross the huge high bridge over Rio Dulce that is between the Lago de Izabal and El Golfete that leads to Amatique Bay. Turning left just off the bridge we find Posada del Rio Hotel where we will meet up with Curtis and Jenny, http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/CJBikeTours2017. They have a longer days ride than us. We are happy with the room for 250Q ($35),AC, WiFi, TV with CNN, but mostly like a hot water shower. We walk across the street to Bruno's for lunch, return to the room, enjoy the AC and work on pictures and journal.

Mid-afternoon, Curtis and Jenny arrive. After months of talking on Facebook and reading their blog, we meet already feeling like we have met before. Sitting outside the room on the balcony, we visit, share stories, information and a beer. Jenny is not feeling well, and only Curtis joins us for dinner at the hotel restaurant sharing great Chinese dishes.

All is good,a very welcome restday tomorrow.

We turned off the main road and are headed north towards Flores.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We meet two cyclists from Morales out for their morning ride. This picture is with Izabal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cyclist Eddie Hernadez
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green football field amongst green mountains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good spot for a break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We cross a large bridge into Rio Dulce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Posada del Rio Hotel where we have agreed to meet Curtis and Jennifer Shaw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are about halfway between Lima and Boise. Time to switch the front and rear tires to get the maximum miles out of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Later in the afternoon Curtis and Jennifer Shaw arrive. It has been a long, hot and hilly ride for them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dog deterrent? No, Curtis uses his machete to clear campsites.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 37 km (23 miles)
Total: 33,826 km (21,006 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0