to Pollock: a headwind along the Salmon River - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

October 10, 2017

to Pollock: a headwind along the Salmon River

"This is the mental part of cycling" Rachel says at breakfast then continues, "we are so close to being home it's hard to keep going and not just get there." We had another hardy breakfast at Hoots to start the day.

The first 40km follow the Salmon River upstream. At first we have a bit of a tailwind, then the joyride turns to nightmare. The mental challenge becomes even greater. A relatively flat road and a fierce headwind. Hopes of reaching Zims hot springs today slowly gets dashed. It's all we can do to reach Riggins without crying.

It's noon-time, so we stop in Riggins at a bar and have awesome sandwich and a beer! We don't usually have a drink before reaching our destination, but today was an exception. Then back into the wind. You'd think with all the toasts we give "to the wind" and with beer, the wind would be our friend. At least the scenery is beautiful.

We reach Canyon Pines RV park near Pollock. This is a nice campground, tent site near the river and nice facilities. A hot shower at the end of the day washes the road miseries away. We are settled into a spot only having to move over when the people who had reserved the site show up. With all the empty spots, we had picked that one. The host came out to apologize and says: "I owe you a beer" which we took her up on at dinnertime.

The weather forecast calls for snow in McCall before the weekend. Let's hope we get there and out before that happens. After McCall we stay we friends Judi and Frank at their cabin in Donnelly. Then the next night and last night out camping with friend Bob, then home to Boise!

Did the last two and a half years really happen?

The Salmon River. This is "typical" Idaho for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking a break along the Salmon River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along the Salmon River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachel cresting a hill along the Salmon River. The hills are brown and dry after the summer heat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Idaho landscape. The high mountains have received their first dusting of snow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fall colors along the Salmon River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Salmon River Canyon. Snow on the mountains beyond.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today is the first day of the regular hunting season. For this guy it's already over.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our campsite along the Little Salmon River in Pollock.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 40,901 km (25,400 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0