to Palolem: Goa: What a difference a state makes - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 30, 2016

to Palolem: Goa: What a difference a state makes

"I don't think Goa is a dry state" Rachel says as within the first couple of kilometers crossing into Goa about a dozen restaurants advertised a bar, two liquor stores across from each other, big signs for Imperial Blue and Royal Stag whiskey with a logo "It's your life, Make it large" and lots of signs against drinking and driving.

And roads have white lines! The hills continue as a coastal road usually does. One section we were going to take a ferry across to cut off some kilometers, but the ferry didn't exist anymore, so we stayed on the main road. For the first time in a long time, dogs are barking and being a little more aggressive.

"What happened?" Patrick asks, when a motorcycle with two guys pulled onto the road in front of Rachel watching her instead of the road, lost control and they went down. One guy was sitting on the road holding a toe. "They were looking at me instead of the edge of the road" Rachel says. "You should help him, since you caused it" Patrick says. Rachel went back to see if there was an injury. The big toe on the passenger had a small cut, he was holding it to try to stop the bleeding. Rachel gave him a bandaid and washing the wound with water.

On the outskirts of Palolem, Patrick stopped to check the tablet. A guy on a motorcycle asks if we are looking for a room. We follow him to San Pedru Coco Huts, Patrick checks out the rooms, as we are deciding the price of the room goes down to 800rupees. The room is actually a plywood hut with attached bathroom, mosquito net provided, fan and a nice porch to sit. We have our own mosquito net, and are taking Larium now that we in the malaria prone area, but it's nice that one is provided.

When we head out to the beach and lunch, one of the staff escorts us through a maze of other huts and people's yards, and to a restaurant. This is the time when we eat other familiar foods, so Pizza for lunch, and for dinner Pad Thai and Burrito.

All is good on the road. Laundry has been handed in to the guesthouse laundry service for 20 rupees. Even better, tomorrow is a rest day.

Hospitality is your right, cleanliness duty
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
San Pedro Coco Hut has a nice pathway to all the huts
Heart 0 Comment 0
A toast wishing Patrick's dad, Frans, a Happy Birthday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shops in the tourist areas know what westerners want...toilet paper and water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset at Palolem Beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 39 km (24 miles)
Total: 12,267 km (7,618 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0