to Otelu Rosu: the day after a rest day is a rainy day - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2015

to Otelu Rosu: the day after a rest day is a rainy day

The day after a rest day sometimes is more difficult than no rest day, we both have the full body blahs....not just fatigue in the legs, just an overall lack of oomph. The first part of the day is over a hill to get to Hateg. It's a beautiful ride, after the climb and then along the ridge. There seems to have been a line from Hunedoara where the roads improve, the people are friendlier and we notice the storks have returned to the villages.

After Hateg, the rain starts when we are on a gradual climb...what Rachel calls flat hills, for about 20kms, then the final push over the "Poart de Fier Transilvaniei" pass. We are on an old Roman route. The descent from the pass follows the Bistra River and through some heavy rainstorms into Otelu Rosu.

No idea why, but there seems to be some competition in this upscale neighborhood for who can have the most ornate metal roof.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Patrick, the architect, wonders who detailed all of this? If ever a leak develops, how would they ever find the spot?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ornate detailing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mountains are visible to our south, until approaching thunderstorms cover it all up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This sheepherder has no problem with having his picture taken.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Big sky country.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The "red" road we follow west out of Hateg doesn't have too much traffic. We do get hit by some pretty strong rain storms.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Fiama Hotel in Otelu Rosu. A little more expensive at about $30, but we have a dry, comfortable room to watch the giro d'Italia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 77 km (48 miles)
Total: 2,463 km (1,530 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0