to Orsova: again along the Danube - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2015

to Orsova: again along the Danube

"Today's first 10 kilometers is very different from yesterday" says Patrick as we make good time along the Danube. There is practically no traffic because the road is officially closed due to a rock slide.

We see the road on the Serbian side that seems to have more climbs and lots of tunnels, so we think the Romanian side was a good choice. At 50 kilometers we start our first climb of the day reaching the town almost at the top ready for a rest break and something to eat. We descend and not until 12 kilometers from Orsova does the second climb start with a final 4 kilometer descent into the town.

There had been very little shops along the way, so first order of business was to find groceries for tomorrow. As we turned to the market, we spot a french couple riding on trikes and we stop to talk. They have been following the Eurovelo 6 route from France going to the Delta of the Danube. They had the official booklet with the maps, making following routes much easier.

We find the guesthouse we've made reservations with no one around, however there is a note with Welcome Patrick Hugens and the room key at the desk, so we check ourselves into the room. We walk back toward town for dinner. Last night we had learned from our housesitters that one of our cats, Peso had been killed by a wild animal. We had dedicated today's ride to Peso and gave him toast at the end of the day.

Early morning along the Danube. On the other side is Serbia.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road is officially closed because of a rock slide. A border agent re-assured us yesterday that cyclists and cars can get around it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road appears closed indefinitely, nice for cyclists, not so nice for the local businesses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We see lots of dead dogs in Romania. This must happen regularly. The locals don't bother moving him off the pavement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Danube squeezes through some narrows
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The face of king Decebalus carved in the rocks near Orsova. The king fought Roman emperors, but this carving was made recently.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Danube narrows near the "iron gate".
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 2,739 km (1,701 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0