to Omitara: camping at "Kalahari Padstall" - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 18, 2015

to Omitara: camping at "Kalahari Padstall"

"This should be called warthog highway", Rachel says. "Or maybe guinea hen alley". We continue to see warthog signs and warthogs as pass through two guinea hen conservancy areas.

There is a group of female kudus that cross the road in front of us and scatter as we get close. Amazing to watch how easily they jump the fence. Fences line the road on both sides with an occasional gate to a farm.

We had a wonderful two days rest in Gobabis and learning about Namibia farm life. Now there are two and a half days cycling to Windhoek. We are fairly certain of a place to camp tonight after reading other cyclists journals.

Slowly we climb with a gentle wind not helping us. We think we are close to the store at a junction where we expect to camp, when a car passes us and turns around then pulls over and asks Patrick if he is a Netherlander. The Idaho license plates on the back of the bikes look like the Dutch flag. We are now in Afrikaans territory.

The woman asks if we had enough water, we did, she gave us two bottles with ice water. Then, "here take these peanuts". We ask about the store, we think only a couple of kms, she says maybe ten....she gives us a plastic jar with sugared dried cumquats! We cycle on and a few kms on we see the store advertising biltong for sale. Biltong is like jerky.

The camping is free, water is potable. After 8 pm the store is closed and the owner drops by to close the gate. He leaves it unlocked so we can leave early in the morning.

The sky is brilliant with stars.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 98 km (61 miles)
Total: 9,873 km (6,131 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0