to Okekan: narrow busy road, lots of traffic  - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 17, 2016

to Okekan: narrow busy road, lots of traffic 

"This will teach us not to mock the road". Last night at dinner we joked about the 50 meter gain we would have today. It wasn't easy getting out of town.

The traffic was bad getting out of the city and road undulating with a rough surface. Then the traffic lightened a bit and the road got worse. At the junction, the road improved some but the traffic increased. This was not a fun day of cycling. It reminded us a bit of India, riding took all concentration on the road surface and traffic, not much time to look around and take in the scenery.

We meet two Polish cyclists going back to Yangon. They only left the city yesterday, but he got sick and they decided to go back to find a doctor. We talk for a while and wish them well.

We did have a couple of very nice interactions with the local people. At one point we stop where a bunch of rickshaw-wallahs are parked and we ask one of the guys to borrow his ride for a joy-ride. He uses Rachel's camera to take some photos. The contraption is a bit wider than what we are used to and Patrick takes out the parking sign.

A little later when we take a cold-drink-break we draw a crowd with the googlemaps earth-view. We show them their location and where our house is located in Boise Idaho. Even though today we waved the one-finger salute to several bus drivers who honk in our ears and come too close, the Burmese people in general are very nice and we have been surprised a couple of times by very good English speakers.

As recommended by Frank, we cycled past the Happy Guesthouse at the beginning of the town (https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=14874). The Okkan Hotel in Okekan (we keep using the googlemaps names for towns, even though one of them is obviously wrong here) is very nice. A bit expensive compared to the great-value rooms we found in Thailand, but not bad. We are given a cold water to drink on arrival. We push our bikes in to the lobby to a designated bike parking area. They get many cyclists here, and some know how to get the panniers off. Nice hot shower, decent wifi and a good restaurant downstairs. Patrick goes around the corner to a "beauty salon" (see photos) for a haircut. Rachel has the same crud Patrick just got over and takes a nap. We meet a German guy at the restaurant, he is cycling the same direction we are.

Leaving Yangon. The Shwedagon Pagoda seen across People's Park.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical traffic all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rickshaw wallah checking his portfolio while waiting for his next ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off for a joy-ride. No gears on these things and the passenger doesn't pedal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rickshaw wallah's waiting for a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meeting Polish cyclists on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch break. Myanmar beer is pretty good, but for lunch we stick with a coke.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Quite the load.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Checking out the GPS and google earth.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Proud momma.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another loaded rickshaw.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Friendly staff at the Okkan Hotel. They all helped carry our gear up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Okkan Hotel in Okekan. Keep that straight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another row of rickshaws just waiting for a fare.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beauty salon around the corner. Patrick can use one of these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off with the hair!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 104 km (65 miles)
Total: 26,221 km (16,283 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0