To Nuwerus: fog and drizzle.....yeah! - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

December 7, 2015

To Nuwerus: fog and drizzle.....yeah!

"When was the last time you wore a jacket?" Rachel asks Patrick as he is digging out his jacket deep in the dry bag. "It's been a long time, it's nice to see a foggy morning." Patrick says.

It's early when we set off in the morning fog. We are getting close to the ocean, a car passed us with surf boards on the roof. After 7kms, Patrick takes off the jacket only to put it back on 5 kms later. The road is up and down, fog lifts a bit then thickens again with visibility distance becomes very short. Maybe this is a good thing to not see the next hill to climb. The mist in the fog creates water droplets on Rachel's helmet.

By mid morning the fog is gone (and so was Patrick's jacket), blue sky with a little bit of wind and the temperature is pleasant. We arrive in Nuwerus and the Hardeveld Lodge. A place with great hospitality by Kobus and Fey and a must for cyclists to stay! We arrive and are given cold cokes!

Another day we see no one other than vehicles. The main road N7 skirts the one town, Bitterfontein. As our cycling friend Leana from South Africa says, "there's a whole lot of nothing". If we were here in spring, there would desert flowers. http://www.leananiemand.org.za/

In a few weeks we will be in India. We think there is a huge culture shock in our future.

In the morning it is overcast with a light drizzle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we climb a little we get into the clouds. It is moist and cool and we love it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our destination today is Nuwerus. The Hardeveld Lodge here has been recommended by several cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 10,315 km (6,406 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0