to Murud: One more ferry - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 15, 2016

to Murud: One more ferry

Leaving our bungalow early light, we ride the backroads with lots of twists and turns toward Murud, requiring to check GPS frequently. The women in the villages we pass through are still collecting water from a communal well. We see more muslim influence the further north we go, more women wearing full face vails.

There were longer flat stretches between the few climbs and a portion that follows the coast. At one junction we found a food stall and had "McVada" rest stop...we are finding the Vada Rassa (potato patty in a sweet roll) a staple for cycling.

We reach the ferry dock at Dighi and try to sort out which of the two jetties we need for the passenger ferry. Patrick walks up to the larger jetty where a vehicle ferry had just left and talks -with a local. We are pointed to the lower smaller jetty where the "blue" passenger ferry will arrive. When the ferry arrives and is unloaded, our bikes are lifted onto the boat with the aid of the crew. Even though we've waited a half hour before departing, the ferry is not very full. The crossing is a bit rough and we get the first views of the Janjira Fort.

After leaving the ferry at Rajapuri, we climb, then cycling high along the ridge, see even a better view of Janjira fort. The sun though is strong and not good for pictures. Staying along the coastal road, we reach Murud and find Hotel Vinayak for 1500 rupees. We face the Arabian Sea with a view of the Kasa Fort and next to a public park. The beach in front of the hotel has the four wheelers and horse drawn carts for tourists. Later in the evening we find a restaurant with tandoori chicken and naan.

One more day of cycling along the coast to Mumbai before turning inland.

We meet an Austrian/German couple who live six months a year in India. They are touring on their Enfield Bullit motorcycle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweeping views along the Konkan Coast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many of the fishing villages are Muslim with matching architecture.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snack break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the ferry boat to Murud. People are very helpful and direct us to the small blue boat that makes the crossing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Janjira Fort near Murud.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sunset over Murud Beach as seen from our room's patio.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 12,862 km (7,987 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0