to Mulbekh - 3300m: two passes: Fotu La (4105m) and Namika La (3827m), plenty of hairpins - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

June 19, 2016

to Mulbekh - 3300m: two passes: Fotu La (4105m) and Namika La (3827m), plenty of hairpins

Today was about switchbacks. Up and down. Up and down. Oh yes, and windy. Rewarded with fantastic scenery and great road surface.

Leaving early, it took us two hours to reach the top of Fotula la, the highest pass on the Leh to Srinagar road. The road signs now include Arabic and trucks have above the windshield, Allah. Then a fantastic downhill! Before climbing again to Namlaka. From a distance we see the road climb around an outcropping that looks like a tiered cake thinking that's the top. Only a little further on we see the road continue up.

On the way up Namlaka, Patrick is interviewed by a TV photographer. Rachel was waved over but it was on the hill and didn't stop. The top was incredibly windy, so with the quick picture taken we start the descent.

About 3 kms before Mulbek, there were food and tea stalls, shops and guesthouses, but we continue on and see a huge statue of Future Buddha carved in the side of a giant rock in the first century BC. Opposite is the Paradise Guesthouse. Patrick checks out a room, for 1200 rupees, it's basic clean, shared bathroom and no hot water. The restaurant seems to be the choice for all the white van tourists going between Leh and Srinagar. We have lunch then go across the road to see the Temple.

We are nearing the end of Buddhist country.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 18,352 km (11,397 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0