To Mettupalayam: climbing into the Nilgiri mountains - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

January 9, 2016

To Mettupalayam: climbing into the Nilgiri mountains

"I mucked up my chain pretty good" Rachel says walking her bike to meet up with Patrick. We are only 7 kms from our destination and the chain is wedged in between the front derailleur and the chain rings. We push our bikes to a motorcycle repair shop. Patrick has all the tools except for a larger wrench to remove the pedal and rings to free the chain.

This is the first time in a long time we are still out on the road cycling at 5pm. Today was a tough yet beautiful day. The first 30kms was all climbing through tropical forest, then nearing the turnoff to Silent Valley National Park, the road levels out a bit before another short climb and then downhill.

We stop again for an egg and vegetable "puff" pastry and tea for morning break. We watch women in very colorful saris walk by and into the shop. The style is the same, crop top with sleeves, a sarong around the waist and a cloth draped over one shoulder around the opposite hip and leggings. Yet the outfits look so different, the variety in fashion achieved by color combinations.

"Where did all this traffic come from?" Patrick says as we ride up to a line waiting for a train to pass. We wait for the train to pass at a shop for another break, and we need water. The train passes and then for 5 minutes non stop trucks, buses, tuk tuks and motorcycles pass, each vehicle beeping.

Puts into perspective just how much traffic passes us during the day.

Fish salesman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Portrait #1
Heart 0 Comment 0
These guys are forest rangers, they stop to get our picture on the "big climb".
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pretty mountain scenery, the air is hazy though.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
More mountain scenery in the Nilgiri Mountains
Heart 0 Comment 0
Break at a bakery for some egg puffs and coffee.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Who would have guessed that there are small and quiet roads in India?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 102 km (63 miles)
Total: 11,179 km (6,942 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0