to Mbale: and then there were three cyclists - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2015

to Mbale: and then there were three cyclists

"We've been on roads with no shoulder or a shoulder that disappears with potholes before, but now we lose the shoulder because of drying corn", Rachel says. All along the road shoulder are small areas where corn is laid out to dry. The corn cobs are first dried, then placed in a bag and pounded until the kernels fall off. The kernels of corn are then laid out to dry.

Last night by the light of headlamps, route options were discussed with Javier. We will go to Mbale and then decide. We had planned to go to Jinja, where the source of Nile is located but wanting to avoid Kampala.

The day starts with all of us packing up to move on...us, Javier and an Israeli couple who has been in the campground also. We take photos of the great view with our bikes and exchange contact information.

The ride starts with a fantastic downhill with views of the valley. We make our way on paved road to Mbale, reaching the town very early. Another day for completing errands...shopping for supplies, replenishing the data on sim cards, money exchange and just plain relaxing.

We have dinner at an Indian Restaurant. There is a long history with India and Uganda. We enjoy the influence in food choices.

reviewing our route across Uganda. We are going to ride together for a couple of days, even though we have very different riding styles and how far we can go each day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ready to leave Sipi Falls and descend to the plains.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Javier drinks the local water, we are more careful and either filter or buy bottled.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A "rolex" for breakfast: a chapati pancake rolled around a omelete and sometimes tomato slices or other vegetables.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entering Mbala. As Javier says: "you've seen one african city, you've seen them all".
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 5,528 km (3,433 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0