to Mandra Beach: into the Greek delta - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2015

to Mandra Beach: into the Greek delta

For 3000 kms Patrick has carried a mosquito net, however, up until now we have not had any problems with bugs. Last night though, mosquitoes buzzed our heads so out comes the mosquito net. Another use for our line, besides laundry and lowering gear from the second floor, is to hang the mosquito net. Patrick has eyelet screws to attach the line to the walls if needed and then hang the net from the line over the bed. Last night there was a way to hang the netting another way.

We are up and over the hill that takes us to Kavala and our first view of the Mediterranean Sea. Cycling through town we stop for a coffee, now 2 Euros each, a bit more expensive than the $0.25 Bulgaria coffee.

We continue on Route 2 crossing the Nestos river to just before Xanthi where we turn south to Evlalo then across to Mangana. We are using the same paper map that Patrick used on his around the world bike trip in 1992-94, but the tablet GPS shows us a road not on the map.

We reach Camping Naturale on Mandra Beach crossing through wetlands with many birds and the tiniest frogs ever hopping across the road.

Our first view of the Mediterranean and Kavala.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At the Kavala harbor. Looks like a real nice town, but our plans call for another 70km and a campground on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we leave Kavala on Hwy 2 we get some nice views of the old city and the aqueduct.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of scrubs with flowers like these along the road. What are they?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last 20km were hard, but this is how we end the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 93 km (58 miles)
Total: 3,191 km (1,982 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0