To Lumbini: Leaving the mountains, for now - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 23, 2016

To Lumbini: Leaving the mountains, for now

A new question has replaced "where are you from?" Now the first question is "How old are you?" We must look ancient to the Nepalese.

When we left Kathmandu, while Patrick was buying pastries, the guard outside asked Rachel "How old are you?" In the guesthouse in Waling, one of the staff asked the same. When we arrived in Tansen, the manager of Rose Resort also asked Rachel "How old are you?" and today at our last rest stop the question was again asked of Patrick. At 65 and 50, we don't feel so old. We did just pass the 10,000 miles milestone.

We averted disaster twice today. First, going over the narrow metal footbridge from our cottage to our bikes, Rachel's handlebar bag flew open spilling Patrick's sunglasses and hitting the concrete then falling into the fish pond. Patrick straddled the edge, and fished the glasses back out of the murky water. Later on the bumpy road out of Butwal, his handlebar bag opened and the tablet went flying only landing back in the open top, if it had landed on the ground, Patrick would have run over it. Guess that's not bad if this is the worst that happens.

Mentally what helps when climbing a long hill is looking forward to the downhill. That reward was delayed yesterday for this morning, a marvelous 40km downhill to Butwal. Then flat and dusty for the next 40kms, the quiet of the mountains gone with the traffic. Just as prayer flags disappeared yesterday, today we pass by a Hindu temple and later, we see women with veils. We are almost back to Sonauli where we crossed into Nepal from India almost 3 weeks ago. We turn off to ride toward Lumbini, the birthplace of Buddha.

We check into the Lumbini Garden Lodge and have a decent room with fan and hot shower for 800 rupees (8USD). Across the street is the recommended restaurant for foreigners, so we venture over and see another traveller eating a sandwich. Asking if it's any good, with the positive reply, we order two chicken sandwiches on a bun, coleslaw and finger chips. Very tasty though not real sure it was chicken.

Late afternoon when the temperature is cooling down, we venture to the Sacred Garden area of the Lumbini Complex and find a fair going in progress. Just like the county fairs at home, with carnival rides and games, and plenty of food and curio stalls.

Tomorrow we explore more of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Father and son carrying fresh milk to town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rivers don't have much water in them this time of year. One can just imagine the flows during the rainy season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hindu temple just before leaving the mountains onto the Terrai plains.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Long line of pilgrims waiting to enter the temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back on the Terrai. It is hot and dusty and we are wearing our masks again..
Heart 0 Comment 0
Workers cutting down the shade trees along the road. This road will be four lane and even hotter in the future.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turn off to the Lumbini area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a fair going on in Lumbini.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Monks throwing tennis balls at cans.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fair food in Nepal.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 78 km (48 miles)
Total: 16,102 km (9,999 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0