to Luang Namtha: half a restday - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

November 29, 2016

to Luang Namtha: half a restday

"If I'd known the ride would have been like this, we might have wanted to push on yesterday" Patrick says. "We are fresh so it was easier this morning than it would have been at the end of the day yesterday" Rachel replies.

We are up early as usual and have breakfast, pack up and on the road quickly. Seems like an easy ride today and we arrive early to Luang Namtha. We first check out a recommended Phou Lu III Guesthouse, but find it isolated from the main street, deserted and expensive. Another Lonely Planet bust. So we return to the main street and immediately spot a bakery.

Time for a second breakfast!

Just down the alley is Zuela Guesthouse and advertising "great food". As we wait for our order to arrive at the bakery, Patrick checks out the guesthouse and returns with a thumbs up, only we need to wait for them to clean the room. For 80,000 ($10 USD) we have a great room! Laundry done and hopefully dries. And lunch of Phad Thai!

Patrick is running out of pages in his passport, so today as half a rest day and good internet, he was able to arrange an appointment with the American consulate in Chang Mai and complete the application online. The idea is to apply for the passport in Chiang Mai and pick it up later in Bangkok. Rachel was able to find postcards to send to our neighbors kids, Sara and Lucca. We've sent them cards from every country, but with only two more days in Laos time for finding postcards was running out. Seems sending postcards is becoming harder and harder with the advent of the internet.

The rest of the day is a rest a day...until we eat again.

Huay Xai is the border town where we will cross into Thailand in a couple of days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fields amongst the green jungle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Snack break.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just before Luang Namtha. The largest flat area we have seen for quite some time.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fields near Luang Namtha.
Heart 0 Comment 0
First things first, we stop for breakfast at this restaurant / bakery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Right behind the bakery is Zuela Guesthouse. A nice place for the right price.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 km (24 miles)
Total: 25,247 km (15,678 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0