to Loja: hills and cold rain - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

March 19, 2017

to Loja: hills and cold rain

"I'm liking these fake speed bumps" Rachel says about the painted speed bumps on the road. "Yes, better than those rumble strips" Patrick adds. There were a series of low bumps that were painful to ride over. They disappeared for most of the ride only to reappear at Loja.

We pack up and load our bikes and wait for the 8am breakfast to be served. On the way out of town, we stop again at the French bakery for bread. Rachel is watching the bikes when an American retiree passes by and starts talking. He is from Michigan and spends winter is warmer climates. Patrick returns from the bakery, no bread, but another couple of very nice cinnamon rolls. Then we are on the road for our first day of cycling tackling a 250 meter climb.

"I wonder if Dylan and Lawson got an early start, or if they'll be passing us sometime" Rachel says. We've stopped halfway up the second hill for a food break at a bus stall. Just after taking off again, two motorcycles zip by with a wave from Dylan. Rachel jokingly thinks "That will be the last we see of them, they'll probably be in Cuenca by the time we get to the top of the hill."

When we rode through the town Malacatos there was a demonstration of some sorts. There is a heap amount of traffic on the road today with many cars displaying political flags or bumper stickers. We think Ecuador is having a run-off election. All along the road today, there are stalls with raw meats to be sold and grills cooking meats and plantains.

As we climb, dark clouds form, then a light drizzle until about 3km from the top of the second climb of almost 900 meters, the drizzle turned to pouring rain. This made the 8km downhill not much fun. Patrick's brakes were not holding so had to go very slowly on the upper steeper part. We pedaled on, with only our rain jackets when the temperature became chilly. Almost to town we stop for Patrick to put on his heavier rain jacket and Rachel rain pants.

Riding into town was a challenge. Rivers now flowed across the road and cars splashed through the not well draining streets. We find Hotel Metropolitano and find a very friendly guy at the reception. He shows us where to park the bikes in the back and helps carry our gear up to the room. We are apologetic of dripping all over the lobby and he doesn't seem to care. After a hot shower, and warming up it is 2:30pm and we venture out to find the supermarket and something to eat. There are two supermarkets, we shop for a few things at the first one, then go around the corner to the second one. Just as we enter, there are Michelle and Evan then Ellen comes up and we made plans to meet for dinner. They took two days on back roads from Vilcabamba to Loja. Check out their site: www.Fort2fuego.wordpress.com

We all went to a Chinese restaurant for a great meal and conversation.

Leaving the Jardin Escondido Hostel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View back on Vilcabamba on our first climb of the day. The landscape is so green.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Passing through a small town. We could have by-passed this village but missed the junction. At least the couple of extra kilometers were flat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green Ecuador.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of pigs have been butchered yesterday. There is meat for sale everywhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
More of green Ecuador.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Grashopper in Morning Glory flower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spiky seed ball with red flowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This must have been just before the rain started for serious.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrive in Loja soaked and cold. The Hotel Metropolitano is just fine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner with Ellen, Michelle and Evan. They are bikepacking from Columbia to Ushuaia.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 29,271 km (18,177 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0