to Litomerice: Along the Elbe River into the Czech Republic - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

April 21, 2015

to Litomerice: Along the Elbe River into the Czech Republic

After 3 rest days, we are happy that our first day back on the bike is along the Elbe river on a bike path....even though we are riding upstream. Rachel calls this "flat hills"the road looks flat but you know that you are climbing.

Very quickly after we start, we cross into the Czech Republic, a new country for both of us. Because Patrick spoke German, cycling in Germany was relatively easy. Now, though, neither of us can read the signs, and about the only word we know is Pivo (beer), a very important word for cyclists to know. And the Czech Republic does not use Euros, so we will need to find a bank to withdraw Czech Crowns called Koruna.

The ride was relatively uneventful until we reached the locks and had to maneuver around. The path twisted and turned directions making the wind sometimes not be our friend. Arriving in Litomerice early afternoon, we check into U sv. Stepana Hostel that is very near to the city center. Locations like this makes it easier to explore cities.

Tomorrow we go to Prague and meet up with another friend, Carlos. Carlos stayed with us last year through warmshowers.org when he rode the Idaho Hot Springs Mountain Bike loop. This will be fun to reconnect with him.

Cycling along the Elbe River we reach the Czech border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not much of a border crossing, no guards, checks or stamps. Just a post on the biketrail and the Czech shield (we think)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spring colors along the Elbe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cities are a mixture of old industrial areas, high-rise apartment buildings and new developments
Heart 0 Comment 0
Someone always wants to live on the top of the mountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mostly abandoned factories. There seems to be a lot of steel salvaging going on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cherry blossoms along the bike trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
"I think I know where we are, but if I didn't I would not admit it." Patrick says.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just like in Germany, sometimes a biketrail presents a surprise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Under cover fisherman
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice spring colors along the Elbe
Heart 0 Comment 0
Downtown Litomerice.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 km (42 miles)
Total: 1,152 km (715 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0