to Lima Peru: Goodbye kroketten, Hello empanadas - Racpat RTW 2015-2017 - CycleBlaze

February 6, 2017

to Lima Peru: Goodbye kroketten, Hello empanadas

"That was a wild taxi drive, she's a little spitfire" Rachel says with Patrick adding "she took no prisoners". We've arrived in Lima and the taxi is waiting for us to go to the Marquay Friend's Hostel. Navigating immigration was quick, waiting for the luggage took a bit longer but all of it arrived, and then we get our first exposure to Peruvian traffic, it's 8:30pm toward the end of rush hour.

The transfer in Madrid went smoothly though that is one convoluted airport, and the long flight to Peru went quicker with the entertainment center, we each watched three movies. The timing is also been good, getting up at 4am to get to the Amsterdam airport and then chasing the sun across the Atlantic arriving on time at 7pm Peru time. Again, the passengers clapped when the landing was completed.

After an hour of navigating twisting and turning streets, playing chicken with the big buses, we are at the hostel. There is no sign for the hostel, however, they were waiting for us to check-in. A nice room on the third floor with an outside patio, perfect for getting the bikes back together.

After a year in Asia and a brief stay in Europe with a familiar culture, we find ourselves in a third culture in two weeks. We've been here before, in 1999-2000 cycling 9 months in South America and ending that trip here in Lima.

This is a turning point though, from here we start cycling home.

Somewhere over the Amazon rain forest in Western Brazil.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Andes Mountains. The 6000 meter high peaks of the Cordillera Blanca are visible to our north. To the west are moist clouds stacking up against the 4000 meter high plateau below us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arrived at the Lima airport. Our hostel has arranged a taxi van to shuttle us from the airport to our Miraflores accommodation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0